FAQ‎ > ‎

2.Foreign Students(Overseas)

 Q1 : What should I submit as proof of Japanese language proficiency?

A1: You have to submit a photocopy of a Certificate of Proficiency or a score report of the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test administered by the Association of International Education, Japan.

If you have not taken the test yet, we recommend taking it well in advance. The test is usually held in December.

 Q2 : Do I need to include academic records of a language school, vocational school or technical college with my application?

A2: As a rule, we request that you submit academic records of all schools which you attended after graduation from high school.

Your high school academic record is not necessary, but that of a technical college must be submitted.

 Q3 : I graduated from a university at which English was not the medium of instruction, so my in academic record is not in English. Can I submit it as it is?

A3: We only accept materials in Japanese and English. Japanese or English translations of materials in other languages are the responsibility of the applicant and must be accompanied by the originals. In addition, an official organization (e.g. embassy) must certify accuracy of the translation with an official seal or stamp.

 Q4 : Where can I obtain a Certified copy of Alien Registration?

A4: You can obtain it at the office of the city, ward, town, or village where you live. A photocopy will not be accepted.

Some applicants send a photocopy of a Certificate of Alien Registration (I.D. card) or the card itself. Japanese law stipulates that you must carry this card with you at all times. Therefore, do not send the card itself. A photocopy is insufficient, so please submit a Certified Copy of Alien Registration issued by a public office (a sealed document).

 Q5 : I plan to study at a graduate school under the same academic advisor as at the undergraduate level. And, I can obtain only one letter of recommendation from the academic advisor in my native country. Do I need to look for another person to write a letter of recommendation?

A5: No, you do not. All you need to do is to ask your academic advisor to explain that he/she is an advisor for both the undergraduate and graduate levels in his/her letter of recommendation.

In the case where your new academic advisor of a graduate school in Japan is already arranged and he/she is a different person from your undergraduate advisor, you should submit two letters, from both your new and previous advisor.
Thus, you have to submit at least two letters of recommendation if you have conducted academic work in either your native country or Japan under two or more different academic advisors until now.

 Q6 : When can I receive notice of the final result of the selection?

A6: At the latest, we send out decisions by the end of March. Please be advised that we do not reveal the results or reasons for our decisions by telephone.  

 Q7 : According to the application guidelines, I have to submit an official letter of acceptance to my graduate school of choice. However, my graduate school does not issue one until March. What should I do?

A7: Instead of that, you can submit an official notice of admission. A photocopy is acceptable for both a letter of acceptance and that of admission. If you have not yet been accepted at the time of application, please include as additional information a graduate school’s application schedule, such as their deadlines and dates for entrance examination’s, etc., on the Foundation’s application form.